Books and Beard Review is the ultimate destination for Indian Book Review, Author Interviews and Book Recommendations. In this blog you will find book reviews of any book you want. It is a book recommendation blog that tells you about best Indian books to read and provides interview of famous Indian authors and Books Reviews of Indian authors. We also have an Indian book review YouTube channel named - Books and Beard Review.

Author Interview- Saheba Atal (Auhtor, Urban Insanity)


Author Interview- Saheba Atal

Interviewer- Animesh Das

Saheba Atal is the author of the self-help book “Urban Insanity”. Saheba Atal speaks with the simplicity of a mother and the gravity of a modern sage. In her work, she has beautifully analysed the various aspects of modern life and society. She has cherry-picked some of the major issues which no-one dares to talk or discuss about. Some people may find her solutions a bit different but there is no denying the fact that they are very practical and effective. Recently I got an opportunity to interview her. In it she has disclosed many unknown facts about her personal life and work which will help the readers understand her work in a better way.

A.D- First of all, Hearty congratulations on the huge success of your latest book “Urban Insanity”.

S.A-Well, thanks. I am grateful to each and every person who took the time, effort and energy to read my work. My ideology came from my heart and my first hand observations.

A.D- Tell us a bit about yourself.

S.A- You already know a lot. Once you read all the other answers, you shall know much more.

A.D-Well, fair enough. Let’s move on to the next question. You are currently studying Anthropology and Sociology along with your Ph.D. in Consumer Behavior. How do you keep a balance between your study and passion?

S.A- I completed my masters in strategic marketing and got busy with the errands of usual daily life. I realised there is a void in me and will always be if I don’t keep learning and studying. I developed interest in anthropology, consumer behaviour and their applications. Hence making time was just an art or a practical way that I needed to chalk out anyhow. Plus it’s a distance learning course. So I have time on my side. 

Balance is a myth. I am not balanced and I don’t think I want to be balanced.

 A.D-Well, that’s amazing.What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?

S.A- I am on a research mode all awake hours. I love to watch, observe and research people, situations and relationships all the time. Everything that is happening on the surface is actually layers of thoughts, complete and incomplete actions and behind everything is intention.  For my factual or historical research I reach out to google.
One cannot decide the time period of research, it depends on many factors. One needs to know if your research has reached a point of conviction.




A.D-Women have received a special attention in your work. You have talked about the equal rights for women and advocated the idea of working women. But over the years we have witnessed incidents like gang-rape, murder and infanticide which project the crooked mentality of the patriarchal society towards women. What piece of advice would you like to give your female admirers who are constantly fighting this battle with the society?


S.A- We will have to keep fighting till we win and we shall be fighting and sorting situations for a longer time than we think we need to. We have already sacrificed ourselves to a great extent in the past. Through social media, Internet and my friends abroad, I learnt that even in the western cultures women are fighting for equality till date.

Honestly it’s a battle that shall last longer than we think. It’s not about winning a position for women. It’s about giving them equality in the social-economic and cultural sense. Yes, some very sad things have happened and are still happening. It’s really about creating awareness about the importance of women and protecting them from the grass root level to the top layers of society.

Personally in my daily life I try my best to uplift and support all women I come across. Be it my staff members, family members or friends, I do try to empower them as much is there in my capacity.

A.D- Do you believe attractive book-covers help in its sales?

S.A- yes they do. I can’t concede such facts. It’s a face of your book just like the poster of a blockbuster.


A.D- According to Wikipedia, In India alone, 90 thousand books get published each year. How important a role do you think promotional activities play in the current scenario?

S.A- Promotion is really important. As modern as this concept might sound to some people, let me explain it’s just a way of reaching out to your audience. It’s important to tell people about what you have created. An artiste creates her /his piece but I don’t think it becomes a master piece until your audience knows that it exists. Especially in the crowd of products one needs to find their own shelf.

A.D- Are you working with any promotional team right now? If yes, then are you satisfied with the services they are providing?

S.A- kitaabikeeda on instagram does our promotions.  And they are doing a great job. Umesh has guided me well and is always patient when I am not able to reach some decisions. He is very understanding towards markets and budgets. 


A.D-You are an avid traveler. Would you like to share some of your travelling experiences with us?


S.A- Wow! Now that needs space for an entire book. I have lived in Dubai for two years during my master’s degree. I have travelled to London, Edinburgh, Vienna, Prague, Lucern, nice, Paris and a few more.

I feel travel makes you reflect on who you are and who you are not. It does describe some limitations in our minds. We learn to value our own homes. I enjoy architecture when I travel. I do spend a day or two taking a tour of the city. I try to feel the historical vibe in the monuments.

A.D- Do you google yourself?

S.A- Why not ? Focusing on yourself, your personality attributes and self love are virtues I write about and I believe in them. You are the best project you can work on, because you know your weaknesses and strengths.

A.D- Does your family support your career as a writer?

S.A- Of course they do. Without the support of your family You can’t do much in life.

A.D- Tell us about your daughter Aksania. As a mother what piece of advice on parenting would you like to offer to the fellow moms?

S.A- My daughter gave birth to a mother in me that I didn’t know existed. She is just like any other child. All children are blessings and learnings. I cannot really advice on being a mom. But I can suggest, that we must let kids grow up in a free environment. I am a new mum and a learner myself .
I recently read some where, ‘stop buying your kids what you didn’t have and start teaching them what you didn’t know.’ I think this is a very practical and essential advice.

A.D- What was the best money you have ever spent as a writer?

S.A- I have spent money on stationery, notebooks, markers, coloured writing pens. It’s the best money because I avidly use my stationery when I am writing. I loved a set of jumbo paper clips I got online, they just light up some element.



A.D- Have any new writer grasped your attention recently?

S.A- I think we have a plethora of talent around us. It’s difficult to name any one. But I like writing that is published for a purpose of reaching out to people to tell them something useful or practical .

A.D-Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?

S.A- I read sufficiently. I am a deep thinker and I romanticise life. So for me classics by Rumi, Kahlil Gibran and the works of such kind are a breeze. My go to book is Anuja chauhan, love her style and suspense. Satbir Chadha has written some varied books as well, they make a great read.

A.D- What is your favorite time and place to write books?

S.A- My home or a nearby coffee shop. I usually get into very comfy clothes, I wear my favourite bangles, a ring on my left hand ring finger and I begin my process. For me to start my flow of writing, the harmony of colours is essential.

A.D- Are you working on something new at the moment?

S.A- I am working on poetry, intercepts, verses and a story. I want to work on quotes and short stories as well.

The second book is a collection of spoken word poetry. I want to release it by the end of this year.

A.D- Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and best of luck for all your future endeavors.

S.A- Thank you so much! I wish both of us love, light and abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any doubts, let me know

Subscribe

About

A freelance blogger and Bookstagrammer,Animesh Das is a Gold Medalist alumnus of Guru Ghasidas Central University, Chhattisgarh. A large number of his Research articles, poems, book-reviews and short-stories have been published in various national and International Journals, Magazines and Anthologies. He has a penchant for music, photography and recitation. You can catch him on Instagram @booksandbeard

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *